When Hurricane Delta crashed against the Mexican Yucatan Peninsula as a Category 2 storm on October 7th, 2020, more than 40,000 tourists were evacuated from their accommodations. There were 157 airline flights cancelled. Lines at the Cancun International Airport filled with thousands of tourists trying to find a flight back home.
Why did I start off my article with that depressing story? Because it is a perfect, recent example of why using a professional Travel Advisor is more important than ever. Tourists who booked their trip with a Travel Advisor had the added benefit of their agent working with airlines to get their clients on a flight back home. Those without a Travel Advisor were on their own.
Additionally, as travel begins to reopen around the world following COVID related shutdowns, there are new travel restrictions and quarantine requirements to enter different countries. Travel Advisors have a duty to stay informed about such restrictions and relay all the information to our clients. This is critical to planning a successful vacation and having a Travel Advisor do it for you takes the stress of these ever-changing restrictions off of YOU!
I could relay many stories of quarantine nightmares and denied entries, but something tells me you already get the picture. So, here are my Top 5 reasons why you need a professional Travel Advisor as a trusted partner as we all start to navigate this new travel climate:
- Just because you CAN doesn’t mean you SHOULD. We have the resources to stay up to date on ever-changing entry and quarantine requirements from every destination. Policies are literally changing moment-by-moment, and it is important to know the risks of finding yourself in an unexpected quarantine situation. Also, just because a resort or island is “open” doesn’t mean you know what the actual experience going to be like. Are masks required? Are all the facilities and amenities open? Will the kid’s clubs and waterparks be operational? Without buffets, what are the food & beverage options? We can get all of that information for you so you can avoid expensive disappointments!
- We have inside information on which travel partners are trustworthy and fiscally sound. We certainly can’t guarantee that a company won’t default or declare bankruptcy in this crazy environment, but we have connections that flag companies that seem to be in trouble so we can add them to our “do not sell” list. And, if the worst happens, we can help you secure a refund or resolution to the best of our abilities. Most importantly, you won’t face it alone.
- We are part of a larger network of advisors, so we hear about which resorts, airlines, and destinations are going above and beyond to adapt COVID wellness policies that protect your health and well-being as well as which ones are NOT. We want you to feel safe and secure wherever you may travel.
- We have great suggestions for amazing travel experiences that you CAN have right now! There are some mind-blowingly beautiful destinations and resorts right here in our own country that you might miss if you always take off for Mexico’s all-inclusive resorts every Spring Break. Check out the US National Parks, visit Alaska on a small expedition cruise ship with fewer than 50 fellow passengers, lay out in a field on an upscale dude ranch in Wyoming viewing more stars in the night time sky than your city-dwelling kids could even imagine—those are just a few example of all the fabulous options available to you by staying stateside! We would love to help you get out of your house and living life again with some of these options you probably haven’t considered.
- We are available to you before, during, and after your travels—kind of like a personal backup system! If you run into any hiccups or need reassurance while away from home, we are your first call! Delayed or cancelled flights? Text us while you wait in line with the airline, and we can try to get you rebooked before you even reach the desk. Is your “ocean view” suite actually overlooking the resort’s plumbing facilities? Let us work out a relocation with the front desk if they do not respond to your complaint. Try getting that kind of service from one of the big box store travel departments or online travel booking engines!
I know that I may be biased, but I genuinely feel that a Travel Advisor is and always will be your best advocate, because we truly CARE about your travel experience. Not only is having a Travel Advisor a great safety net for when things may go wrong, but we’ll also help ensure you the best deals on great experiences. If you’re interested in learning more about what I can offer you as a Travel Advisor, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Until next time,